What is the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program?
Senate Bill 10 as signed into law on May 18, 2007 created the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program. It allows eligible special needs students to transfer to another public school, public school system, state school, or authorized participating private school.
Will the GSNS Program continue in future years?
The GSNS Program will continue as long as it is authorized and funded in state law.
How does an interested parent/guardian find out more about the scholarship?
Parent(s)/guardian(s) can find out more about the program by visiting the GSNS web page at
http://www.gadoe.org/External-Affairs-and-Policy/Policy/Pages/Special-Needs-Scholarship- Program.aspx. Click on the Additional Resources link found on the right side of the page.
Program Eligibility Questions
Which students are eligible for the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship (GSNS) Program?
- A student have must a parent/guardian who currently lives in Georgia and has been a resident for at least one calendar year.
- A student was enrolled and attended a Georgia public school (grades K – 12) the entire 2012 – 2013 school year. Pre-school special education students do not qualify. A student must complete a full school year in kindergarten before he/she can be eligible.
- A student was reported by a school district(s) during mandatory student counts conducted in October 2012 and March 2013 by public schools.
In 2008, House Bill 1133 was passed into law which allows individuals and corporations to direct a portion of their state tax dollars to education. Pay It Forward Scholarships currently operates under the amended House Bill 283.
By making a donation to a Student Scholarship Organization (SSO), such as Pay it Forward Scholarships, individual donors can receive a dollar-for-dollar tax credit as well as a deduction on their federal taxes. Corporate donors will also receive a dollar-for-dollar tax credit for their donations. Please visit their website at www.payitforwardscholarships.com for more information.
As a licensed Student Scholarship Organization, Pay it Forward processes scholarships for students who attend private schools in the state of Georgia. The process is simple, and they handle all the administration.
If you have questions as you browse our website, please contact their office at 770.534.3611 and the staff will gladly assist you.
- Where do I send my check?
Please mail your check to: Pay it Forward Scholarships
615 Oak St Suite F
Gainesville, GA 30501
- Who do I make my check payable to?
Please make your checks payable to: Pay it Forward Scholarships
- What do I send along with my check?
Please mail a copy of your approval letter from the Georgia Department of Revenue along with your check.
- Can I designate a student?
No. The law is very clear that anyone making a donation cannot designate or suggest a student or they will lose their tax benefits.
- How will I know if my student has been chosen to receive a scholarship?
You will receive notification via email confirming the amount of the scholarship and the school to which it has been awarded to.